The bakery where I am interning recently took an order for a small tiered birthday cake and the customer requested a fondant roller skate topper. So I’ve been working on one. Or a few.
I did attempt number one just as a total first draft without consulting my boss for specifics; I just whipped it up in my kitchen in about half an hour.
This is roller skate number 1. I also made a little bow to go on the laces, but it looked funny so I removed it. I brought it into work and the owner loved it! She suggested that we just tweak it a little and use it. Somehow that day I was uncharacteristically optimistic and told her, “Nah… I’ll make another one, better than the first!” Easier said than done. I made my second roller skate at the bakery and as I was lacking all the things I’m used to using — my usual fondant, tools, lighting, workspace… it all went pear-shaped. And it took a long time to make that disaster too. Ugh.
Roller skate number 2. It looks like a clown shoe. The brand of fondant we had at the bakery dries much faster than what I use at home, so the surface looked all slouchy and wrinkled. Satin Ice, I don’t care how much the Cake Boss loves you… you made my afternoon a living hell. The wheels are not attached because we removed them to dry (otherwise, they get kind of flat under the weight of the skate). The one improvement I made was the addition of the tongue, which my boss had suggested. I hate, hate, HATE this one.
This weekend, I made two more skates at home.
This is number 3. I liked it, although I thought it might be slightly too long for the 6-inch cake it’s topping and I wanted it to have a little more height. I tried to get cute with my exacto-knife and made some stitching around the top collar and the tongue, but it ended up looking kind of meh.
Number 4 — my favorite; we’ll see what my boss says. I haven’t attached the laces yet because I am thinking of putting them on after the wheels are attached, so the laces drape down the proper distance. The toe of this skate is a little more contoured and maybe slightly less cartoonish than numbers 1 and 3. I also made a variety of wheel sizes for this one (although they can go on any of the skates, really).
It’s been an interesting and worthwhile learning experience, but I really hope I don’t have to do another one, at least not for this particular cake!