Remember how I found my cupcake figures disappointing last week? I was late and harried, I had one less working index finger than normal, and I thought maybe my icing was kind of funny. I wasn’t certain, but I felt like the tinting was a little uneven and the consistency was a little mushy. When I piped my bears, for example, the icing seemed to explode out of the tip. In the end, I decided my dissatisfaction with the figures was just me being unhappy (once again) with having to use the “Crisco icing.”
This afternoon, I was mixing up more class buttercream icing for tomorrow’s cake and made a discovery — last week’s icing only contained 50% of the confectioners’ sugar it should have. Apparently I am incapable of converting convert pounds into ounces in my head, and put 8 oz. of sugar in the icing rather than the full 16 oz. No wonder the icing didn’t perform — it was mostly shortening!